SPEL 2018 Conference now open for bookings
Thursday 13th September 2018, COSLA Conference Centre, Edinburgh
The 28th SPEL Conference takes place in Edinburgh this year and will focus broadly on two key themes - the Planning Bill and wider environmental matters.
In May, the Stage 1 Report on the Planning (Scotland) Bill was released. Whilst some proposals appear to be going through the process relatively unchallenged, there are others which will be subject to further scrutiny.
As we anticipate what a future planning system is going to look like, planning reform is not the only driver of change. The Energy Strategy, climate change, and the 2021 Landfill ban will also impact on planning.
Against this background, a number of high profile speakers will consider how change is likely to shape their various areas of expertise and its likely impact on planning in Scotland.
Widely regarded as the foremost annual planning law event in Scotland, the SPEL Conference attracts key speakers and senior figures from a range of backgrounds and affords the opportunity to engage in high level discussion and debate.
Join us for the 2018 conference
This year's programme includes:
- Community empowerement and the Planning Bill
- Ongoing challenges in funding infrastructure
- Implications of the Planning Review for the Planning Appeals process
- Implications of Scotland's Energy Strategy and Climate Change Plan
- The National Transport Strategy and alignment with planning
- Environmental consequences of the Landfill ban
- Review of significant case law
Confirmed speakers this year include:
- Mark Lazarowicz, Terra Firma Chambers
- Pippa Robertson, Aurora Planning
- Archie Rintoul, former Chief Valuer Scotland
- Karen Heywood, Interim Chief Reporter, Planning & Environmental Appeals Division, Scottish Government
- Karen Turner, Director of the Centre for Energy Policy, University of Strathclyde
- Greg Lloyd, Emeritus Professor of Urban Planning, Ulster University
- Lesley Martin, RSA Scotland
- Laura Tainsh, Partner, Davidson Chalmers
We're pleased that Douglas Armstrong QC will be chairing the conference.
Idox Information Service member: £150 (£180 incl.VAT)
Non-Idox Information Service member: £160 (£192 incl. VAT)
Price includes refreshments and networking lunch
Please complete the form below or call Christine Eccleson on 03330 111484 to book your place.
The full programme is available here.
Idox plc gathers, holds and processes personal data in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018. Any personal data you supply will be used by Idox for the purpose of managing and organising this event. Your name and organisation will be included in the delegate list for this event and for future SPEL conferences. Your personal data will not be sold or released to third parties.
Become a member
Unlock 40 years of policy, research and information by becoming a member. Just fill out the form on this page and we'll get back to you with details of rates for individuals and organisations.